Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Chews: Nutella Pancakes



I've seen this idea floating around the internet, and decided I should give it a try.  The hardest part of making this is not eating all the Nutella straight from the jar! (Guilty of that one for sure.)

I have had Nutella on pancakes before, and love the way it melts! When I learned it could be INSIDE the pancake and melty, oh fancy pants!

This does not go with the health lifestyle I strive to keep up, but I guess I need a cheat meal.

When I make pancakes sometimes I make them with protein powder and egg whites,  but as this is a cheat meal, I went full out cheatery. Without further delay, here is the recipe for the delicious and delightful Nutella pancakes!

Nutella Pancakes
Makes 6 pancakes, 2 servings
2 hours total, including resting time

Ingredients:
9-12 tbsp Nutella
2 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1⅛ cup milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Start by making Nutella medallions. Using waxed paper on a cookie sheet, spoon 1½ to 2 tbsp Nutella, and used the back of the spoon to create a circle about 2 inches in diameter. Repeat this process 6 times to have 6 medallions. Place the cookie sheet in freezer for 1 to 2 hours, or until the Nutella medallions are solid.

For the pancake batter, mix all dry ingredients together, create a well and add wet ingredients. Mix the batter together, it may be slightly lumpy. Don't over beat.

When ready to make the pancakes only take out 1 Nutella medallion at a time from the freezer - they melt almost instantly.

Grease your pan, ensuring to wipe any excess oil or butter, as this it what will make the first pancake too light in color. Now they can all look as perfect as they taste!

Pour about a quarter cup of batter in the pan, place the frozen Nutella medallion in the center of the batter, ensuring the batter extends just past the medallion. Pour just enough batter onto the medallion to cover it (about 2 tbsp). Move quickly, because again, the Nutella medallions melt quickly! When the edges of the batter start to bubble, flip the pancake to cook the other side.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: don't eat the Nutella Medallions before placing them in the pancake.

This will mean waiting to freeze more, and by that time you could have had Nutella pancakes! Duh, silly. This is not something I did, however I'm sure you will be tempted as I was.

Mmm… Nutella.

I have seen some put syrup on these, but I felt the melty Nutella center was enough for me - maybe some strawberries next time though!

Hope you enjoy these when you make them. Let me know how they turn out. Or, save me one!



21 comments:

  1. I think my husband has made something similar before. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!
    These look really good!
    I might have to try them.
    Found your post today on While I'm Waiting.
    Hope you have a great day~
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pancakes are something my daughter would love. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at Nutella, Jennifer. I've been known to smear it on pancakes, but this looks to be an even better idea. I'm definitely trying it! Thanks so much for sharing this neat recipe with us on #shinebloghop this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I've seen these everywhere. My daughter is a huge Nutella fan, especially on strawberries. I never have tried it as a pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How yummy! Thank you for sharing it on SYC! :) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yum! I can't wait to give these a go :D

    Thanks so much for sharing at #FridayFrivolity x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one really big Nutella fan in the house so we'll have to try these... topped with strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never ever tasted Nutella and I am going to keep it that way. I know I would like it. I told my daughte that I have never tasted it and she said it's a good idea to avoid it!

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing! Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner Link up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I have been wanting to try these! They look amazing! :D Thanks for sharing at #SmallVictories

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so good!! Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Hop!
    I have chosen this post as one of my Monday Special Features.

    If you'd like to take a look here's the link:
    http://lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com/2016/05/monday-special-features-12.html

    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I LOVE Nutella so much. I'm definitely going to have to try these. Thanks for sharing at the Wednesday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who can resist this nutella pancakes, love it, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nutella lovers would go crazy for these! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had never seen this done. It is pretty amazing! Nutella comes in so many different flavors, you could do so many different varieties of these pancakes. I know that my kids would absolutely love these! Thanks so much for sharing. Excited.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet my grand kids would love this!! They love pancakes! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing on Let's Get Real Friday Party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am lucky to say that my DD is not a fan of the delicious hazelnut spread, which means I get a whole jar of that goodness to myself lol! Thank you for sharing this super simple recipe that looks like a lot of fun to prepare on the #bloggersspotlight last week. Especially excited to prepare the Nutella medallions, I hope I have enough will power to follow the recipe's directions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, these look wonderful. So nice to find you via SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun recipe! Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

    ReplyDelete