Thursday, September 17, 2015

Weight Loss - How Is It Achieved?


I find there are three primary components that lead to successful weight loss:

  • Exercising
  • Eating Healthy
  • Eliminating Stress
Let's take a look at each of these.

Exercise


EXERCISING is NOT for:

  • Beating your body up for a previous lifestyle or current lifestyle you are living
  • Trying to burn off calories from yesterday’s meals
  • Competing what society’s latest fad you need to mold into
  • Punishing yourself for “not being good enough”

EXERCISING should make you feel good and improve your well being by developing:

  • More mobile and flexible joints
  • Stronger muscles and bones
  • A lower heart rate
  • the ability to breathe deeper
  • Improved energy, mood and hormone balance
  • Less risk of disease and injury
  • Increased confidence, body image and self esteem
  • An outlet for stress relief and an opportunity for “you time”

How to exercise:

Yes this is necessary to touch on, because there’s a lot of people out there exercising in a way that is hindering them from achieving their goals.

When someone decides it is time to lose weight, running is one of the most common forms of movement they try. Running works for some but for others did you know it can actually make them gain weight? Running is acid forming, can create shallow breathing and can increase appetite, all hindering weight loss.

Let’s clear this up, I am not saying everyone should stop running or never try running. I am a runner going on 10 + years and absolutely love it. What I am saying is that you should do your own research on a form of movement, try it out if you feel interested and listen to what your body thinks about it. If you are experiencing injuries and not noticing positive changes towards your goal, then it isn’t the right form of movement for you.


Eating


EATING Healthy is NOT:

  • Trying all the latest fad diets
  • Attempting an extreme diet change you can not comfortably maintain for more than 3 months
  • Counting calories (it takes the beauty out of your food)

EATING Healthy should be:
  • Enjoyable in all its stages - shopping, preparing and eating your meals
  • Energy lifting
  • Fueling you for your day

Exercising is usually the first step in a weight loss journey because it is the easy change to make. Eating healthier is a tougher change. Create your healthy meals one change at a time. Do not throw everything in your kitchen out and spend tons of money to re-stock your kitchen at your natural food store. You will feel frustrated with the time, energy, and money when it doesn’t work.

Start by learning about food and make one swap at a time to create a healing kitchen. Example - swap out the table salt for Himalayan Pink Salt.
 

Stress Management


ELIMINATING stress: This is often the most challenging and the most personal step on your weight loss journey.


By reducing stress, you learn how to:
  • Let go of past events, suffering and “baggage”
  • Let go of fear of the future
  • Evaluate daily stress
  • Create a stress outlet

Try out this experiment for one day: keep track of how often you let a past event bother you. On a piece of paper or a note on your phone document every time the past event bothered you.

At the end of the day reflect on how often you were bothered. Do you want to let that much of your day go towards the past?

With the same technique you can document how many times you felt angry, fearful or stressed.

Create  an outlet that allows you to let go of past suffering, fear of the future and daily stressors. I highly recommend a restorative yoga practice, journaling or meditation.

Right now before you go start with repeating these two sentences to yourself until you believe them.

I accept my body where it is right now.
I will put myself first.



22 comments:

  1. Your post brought me to tears of relief, a better way to view exercise, food and stress. The stress part seems to me to be very important to not only recognize but embrace what you wrote: I accept my body where it is right now. I will put myself first You write so clearly Vanessa and turn away from the fight to be healthy. Positive suggestions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you found it helpful! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Exactly how I view healthy eating and exercise. Thank you so much for helping to get the message out there and linking up with #AnythingGoes

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you mentioned to count how many times a past events bothers me I lost count! I recently had an event that really bothered me and I cannot let it go. I keep running it over and over in my head. I am stopping that right now and if I think of it I will immediately move on! Thank you for that! Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome tips! thanks for sharing these - I definitely think those 3 factors affect weight loss and health so much.

    stop by and chat with me :) http://storybookapothecary.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post - I exercise at least 4 days a week and do it for me and to stay healthy, not as a way to lose weight. Exercising regularly for even just 20 min. a day has so many benefits beside staying fit. Stopping by from Paula's No Rule party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stress plays such an important part in weight loss as many people overeat because they are stressed. Thank you for sharing this with us at #WednesdaysWisdom. To me you have nailed it with these three areas to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice article, thanks for sharing wonderful tips to Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely LOVE this!!! Totally agree, these three elements are crucial. Thanks so much for sharing on the Healthy Living Link Party :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes....lowering stress is key to keeping weight down. Thank you for including that in your list. My husband has a very high stress job which affects his weight. Great advice here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post and great strategies!! Thanks for Sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Pinned! Hope you come back tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Helping others with weight loss is a strong passion of mine.

      Delete
  11. I think you hit the nail on the head with this! I don't get stressed, but need to work on the other two more. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shared! Thank you for sharing with us at #JoyHopeLive!

    ReplyDelete